NATIONAL Public Relations is seeking a dynamic, collaborative and respected senior communications professional for the position of Vice-President, Practice Lead to head the Public Affairs team in Toronto. Our Public Affairs practice plays an important role in some of the country’s most significant policy and public affairs programs, helping clients advocate effectively and build relationships with government. As a member of the Canadian Public Affairs team, you will have previous experience in a municipal, provincial or federal government setting. The Vice-President will help our clients drive change using strategic, creative and fully integrated approaches that integrate public affairs with the broader communications program.
You are a trusted advisor with significant experience in public affairs stemming from an outstanding career in government, or as a consultant or within a corporate environment. You are a team leader who navigates between providing in-depth strategic counsel to a growing roster of clients, while simultaneously overseeing the team to deliver integrated programs and deploying strong account management, leadership, team building, mentoring, client relation and business development skills. You are a true team player who inspires and supports clients and colleagues. This opportunity will allow you to work with an exceptional team in Toronto while tapping into the best thinking across a global network.
- Build rapport and credibility with clients, based on trust and expert counsel
- Lead account teams in areas including public affairs, policy development, lobbying, advocacy, engagement and stakeholder and government outreach, amongst other areas
- Leverage traditional, digital and social media as well as emerging technologies to develop strategic solutions for clients
- Ensure client satisfaction with the Firm, our services, our staff and quickly and effectively resolve client problems or concerns
- Play a leadership role in coaching and facilitating professional development of staff, creating growth opportunities
- Exemplify and actively foster a culture of teamwork and collaboration
- Contribute to the Firm’s public affairs offering and utilize resources from across the network to support all client files and provide access to the full suite of services the Firm can offer
- Take personal responsibility for mentoring and long-term career and personal development of staff
- Oversee the Public Affairs team in achieving year-upon-year client growth and account profitability
- Build new business from existing and new clients in accordance to mutually agreed upon objectives
- Proactively identify, respond to and lead new business opportunities
- Maintain and grow relationships, recognizing and capitalizing on emerging opportunities, to help clients succeed
- Initiate, develop and maintain relationships with key opinion leaders
- Act as primary contact for high-profile, large, integrated public affairs clients
Your skills and experience
- Previous experience in a municipal, provincial or federal government context would also be considered a strong asset
- Strong leadership and team development skills; including ability to inform, delegate, empower and motivate
- Comfortable operating across a pan-Canadian team of public affairs professionals with an understanding of how to leverage the full capability of the team
- Track record in client service excellence and relationship building and/or deep sectoral knowledge and specialized expertise
- Strong understanding of and experience with integrating traditional and digital media, as well as comfort with digital public affairs and advocacy techniques and approaches to deliver integrated solutions to clients
- Ability to manage multiple accounts and priorities
- Excellent EQ, verbal and written communication skills
- Able to work at both a leadership and tactical level
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university; advanced degree preferred
- 15+ years’ experience in corporate communication at an agency or in-house. Previous agency experience considered an asset
NATIONAL is committed to employment equity and we encourage applications from all qualified candidates. We value diversity and creating an inclusive culture where everyone can bring their true selves to work. We are committed as a company to equitable practices and policies that encourage a diverse workforce and work environment.
If you require a special accommodation, please advise the Human Resources Manager or Hiring Manager during the hiring process.