As Canada’s leading public relations firm, NATIONAL is home to Canada’s deepest bench of public affairs experts. NATIONAL has government relations and public affairs specialists in offices across Canada - Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City, Saint John, Halifax, and St. John’s.
Whether on Parliament Hill in Ottawa or at the provincial legislatures or city halls in cities across the country, our NATIONAL experts have deep expertise in developing impactful advocacy and awareness plans to influence key decision-makers.
NATIONAL is seeking an experienced professional specialized in government relations and stakeholder engagement to join the growing Public Affairs practice in Toronto.
We are looking for a self-starter and creative thinker who demonstrates a passion for government relations, stakeholder engagement, issues and crisis management and strategic communications, as well as a commitment to client service and business development.
With increased expectations for organizations to communicate and engage with stakeholders, including government, especially on important projects and initiatives, you should understand how to design, activate, and manage public affairs campaigns that reach and motivate target audiences.
Working as a trusted advisor to leading organizations from multiple industry sectors – such as corporate, health, government, transportation, real estate, natural resources and energy – the successful candidate will know how to translate current events, political developments and corporate news into strategic opportunities for our clients.
What you will do
NATIONAL’s Public Affairs practice client base is expanding, and we are looking for a government relations expert to help service our clients and drive our business growth. This role will include a number of responsibilities, including:
- Serve as a day-to-day, client-facing manager for accounts across multiple industry sectors, such as health, government, education, infrastructure, transportation, real estate development and energy.
- Interact daily with our clients’ senior communications and public affairs leaders and work as part of an integrated team to deliver expert counsel and exceptional client service.
- Manage high-stakes issues and crises, as well as reputation management programs for our clients.
- Design, manage and execute impactful municipal and provincial government relations programs as well as stakeholder engagement and advocacy campaigns in support of our clients’ public affairs objectives.
- Manage and execute successful communications campaigns, which may include message development; earned, owned and paid media strategy, content development and public engagement.
- Maintain expert knowledge of evolving economic, political and social issues that affect our clients; able to propose ideas to advance client goals.
- Project manage accounts, including work plans and overseeing account budgets.
- Contribute to the practice and Firm’s new business development initiatives, with a focus on helping to grow our client base in issues/crisis management, reputation management, campaign strategy and activation, public engagement and stakeholder relations.
- Work with other NATIONAL practices, teams and offices to deliver integrated communications services.
- Post-secondary degree in a related field such as public relations, political science, business administration, or public administration
- Ability to clearly express thoughts and opinions through written and verbal communications and presentations. This person should be a compelling writer and an articulate and persuasive overall communicator.
- Deep understanding and interest in government and public policy and are adept at building relationships.
- Five to eight years experience in government relations, public affairs and strategic communications within a consulting, government or corporate service setting.
- Understands Ontario’s provincial and municipal legislative processes, including the strategic issues that matter to business and the public.
- Has established relationships in Ontario’s provincial government and/or City of Toronto, as well as a network in the Toronto business community.
- Digital advocacy experience as well as previous work as part of a Canada-wide public affairs offering, would also be an asset.
- Strategic thinker with strong interpersonal skills who wants to work in a client service environment.
- Networker with an entrepreneurial spirit who likes the challenge of business development.
- Lifelong learner who pushes themselves to stay ahead of the curve when it comes to communications trends.
- True team player who is eager to collaborate and help the practice and Firm achieve its business objectives.
NATIONAL offers an opportunity to do challenging, unconventional work, while building a career in corporate communications consulting with a firm that recognizes performance and rewards achievement.
NATIONAL is committed to employment equity and we encourage applications from all qualified candidates. We value diversity and creating an inclusive culture where everyone can bring their true selves to work. We are committed as a company to equitable practices and policies that encourage a diverse workforce and work environment.
If you require a special accommodation, please advise the Human Resources Manager or Hiring Manager during the hiring process.