NATIONAL Halifax is seeking a Director of Research and Insights to oversee this practice area in Atlantic Canada and contribute to the global practice in other markets. This role is based in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
The ideal candidate will use ingenuity and technical skills to analyze data, turn data into insights and stories, processes into tools, and art into science. This role will be critical in developing insights that underpin integrated campaigns, issues and crisis response, and strategic communications plans. The position will involve collecting and using online data and other data sources to generate insights, working alongside client teams in marketing and public affairs practice areas, in Atlantic Canada and with peers and clients situated in other markets. Our ideal candidate has a high comfort level with directing quantitative and qualitative research activities and pulling intelligence from each.
This person is creative and collaborative, has strong problem solving, statistics, programming and communication skills, is a motivated learner, and is able to find insights in data and numbers and summarize/visualize them in a compelling way.
NATIONAL is an industry pioneer in bringing an innovative data and research-driven approach to the communications landscape. This role is perfect for someone ready to develop as a leader and innovator in this emerging and exciting space.
- Solve business and communications problems using research and data to inform and support strategies, and demonstrate effectiveness in measurement.
- Lead development and deployment of statistics, survey and data analysis solutions and visualizations for clients.
- Strategic counsel: advise senior management and executive clients in clear and understandable language about the implications that stem from analysis.
- Work with the team to develop tools and technologies and maintain and support existing applications and technical products.
- Work closely with senior strategists at the firm to deliver on the vision for research and data within the firm.
- Internal leadership: training, educating and leading across the Firm and our global network on new platforms, channels, tools and emerging methodologies and innovation.
- Thought leadership: thinking, writing and participating in the growing conversations about the intersection between data and strategic communications.
- Quality control: ensuring that the research developed by the firm is accurate, thoughtful and demonstrates best practices.
- Business and project management: working with leadership, resource management and teams to ensure that research projects are profitable and delivered on time and budget.
- Business development: effectively position and market research and opportunities to use research within the firm and with clients.
- Work with leadership and qualitative/quantitative research team members to further improve and refine existing processes and approaches.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams inside and outside the agency to turn data into ideas.
You will also support the firm as a whole by conducting research, guiding and overseeing team members, and forming insights that guide strategy by:
- Using social listening and marketing technology tools
- Using public data sets
- Third-party research
- Helping to design research in pursuit of insight
- Web analytics reporting
- Competitive analysis
- Online influencer identification
- Traditional media analysis
- Collection and analysis of online structured data sources
Requirements and competencies
- Proven background and academic studies in Statistics, Psychology, Math, Econometrics, or similar field where data analysis and research is central.
- Comfort level or ability to direct others in a variety of programming languages, including but not limited to Shiny, R and Python.
- Solid grasp of statistics, including statistical tests and distributions.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills for communicating and collaborating with colleagues and clients.
- Curiosity to collect large amounts of data and transform it into a more usable format.
- Desire to look for order and patterns in data, as well as spotting trends that can help drive business and strategic results.
- Strong data visualization skills, and comfort applying them in new and creative ways.
- Staying on top of analytical techniques such as machine learning, deep learning and text analytics.
- Must be able to handle the demands of a fast-paced environment, working across all levels of an organization.
- Professional, collaborative and positive working style.
Up for a new challenge?
Please submit a cover letter and resume in confidence.
We are committed to employment equity and encourage applications from all qualified candidates. Accessibility accommodations for candidates requiring them are available upon request.
Please note that we will only be reaching out to those candidates who are being considered for an interview. We appreciate your interest in working with NATIONAL Public Relations.
We subscribe to the principle of employment equity and invite all qualified candidates to participate in its recruitment process. If you require a special accommodation, please advise the Human Resources Manager or Hiring Manager during the hiring process.