NATIONAL Toronto is looking for a Director of Research and Data to cover a one-year maternity leave contract. This individual will oversee the data and research offering at the Firm, using ingenuity and technical skills to analyze data, build applications and find meaningful insights that turn data into stories, processes into tools, and art into science.
As Director of Research and Data, the successful candidate would report into the SVP, Strategy and Integration, and will be responsible for developing methodologies and building tools, managing a dynamic team of quantitative and qualitative analysts, from statisticians to anthropologists, and delivering compelling and unique strategic insights for our Firm and clients across a variety of industries and activities. They will also be tasked with educating internal and external stakeholders unfamiliar working in a data-driven environment.
The ideal candidate is creative and collaborative, has strong problem solving, statistics, programming and communication skills, is a motivated learner, and is able to find insights in data and numbers and summarize/visualize them in a compelling way.
NATIONAL is an industry pioneer in bringing an innovative data and research-driven approach to the communications landscape, and this role is perfect for someone ready to develop as a leader and innovator in this emerging and exciting space.
- Solve business and communications problems using research and data to inform and support strategies, and demonstrate effectiveness in measurement
- Lead development and deployment of statistics, survey and data analysis solutions and visualizations for clients
- Strategic counsel: advise senior management and executive clients in clear and understandable language about the implications from the analysis
- Working with the team to develop new tools and technologies and maintain and support existing applications and technical products
- Work closely with SVP, Strategy and Integration to advance and deliver on the vision for research and data within the Firm
- Internal leadership: training, educating and leading across the Firm and our global network on new platforms, channels, tools and emerging methodologies and innovation
- Thought leadership: thinking, writing and participating in the growing conversations about the intersection between data and strategic communications
- Quality control: ensuring that the research developed by the firm is accurate, thoughtful and demonstrates best practices
- Business and project management: working with leadership, resource management and teams to ensure that research projects are profitable and delivered on time and budget
- Business development: effectively position and market research and opportunities to use research within the firm and with clients
- Work with leadership and qualitative/quantitative research team members to further improve and refine existing research processes and approaches
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams inside and outside the agency to turn data into ideas
Requirements and Competencies
- Master’s Degree or greater in Statistics, Math, Econometrics, or similar research-intensive field
- Comfort level in working with a variety of programming languages, including but not limited to Shiny, R and Python
- Solid grasp of statistics, including statistical tests and distributions
- Strong written and verbal communication skills for communicating and collaborating with colleagues and clients
- Curiosity to collect large amounts of data and transform it into a more usable format
- Desire to looking for order and patterns in data, as well as spotting trends that can help drive business and strategic results
- Strong data visualization skills, and comfort applying them in new and creative ways
- Staying on top of analytical techniques such as machine learning, deep learning and text analytics
- Must be able to handle the demands of a fast-paced environment, working across all levels of an organization
- Professional, collaborative and positive working style
Please submit a cover letter and resume in confidence.
Please note that we will only be reaching out to those candidates who are being considered for an interview. We appreciate your interest in working with NATIONAL Public Relations.
NATIONAL is committed to employment equity and we encourage applications from all qualified candidates. We value diversity and creating an inclusive culture where everyone can bring their true selves to work. We are committed as a company to equitable practices and policies that encourage a diverse workforce and work environment.
If you require a special accommodation, please advise the Human Resources Manager or Hiring Manager during the hiring process.