NATIONAL Public Relations Inc., Canada’s largest public relations consultancy, is seeking an experienced professional specialized in strategic communications to join our growing Corporate and Public Affairs practice in Toronto.
About the role
We are looking for a self-starter and creative thinker who demonstrates a passion for strategic communications, as well as a commitment to client service and business development.
The successful candidate will have extensive experience and exceptional skills in media relations, such as building and executing successful thought leadership and profile building programs for business leaders, as well as developing and leading earned media strategies for public affairs advocacy campaigns.
With a strong understanding of Canada’s business, financial and political media, the successful candidate will leverage their knowledge and relationships to develop successful media strategies for our clients. The successful candidate will prepare our clients for all types of media interviews from report launches to crisis response.
With increased expectations for organizations to communicate and engage with stakeholders, especially on important projects that require both regulatory approval and social acceptability, you should understand how to design, activate and manage multi-channel communications campaigns that reach and motivate target audiences. This includes knowing how to integrate social media, creative and research into corporate communications and advocacy campaign strategies.
Candidates should also have experience managing communications for corporate issues and crises.
Working as a trusted advisor to leading organizations from multiple industry sectors – such as energy, natural resources, manufacturing, transportation, consumer goods, labour and government – the successful candidate will know how to translate current events, political developments and corporate news into strategic opportunities for our clients.
As a Director, you will have an opportunity to apply your entrepreneurial skills to grow the business and help manage a team of high-performing corporate and public affairs consultants.
What you will do
As a senior member on the Corporate Affairs team, you will be expected to:
- Lead client accounts
- Maintain key client relationships by providing strategic guidance and counsel
- Ensure client satisfaction with the Firm, our services, our staff and quickly and effectively resolve problems or concerns
- Identify and lead new business opportunities
- Identify opportunities to extend and expand our work with existing clients
- Demonstrate strong project management skills and ability to deliver mandates on time and on budget
- Oversee quality control of team assignments including writing, pitching, proposals, reporting and delivery
- Lead projects and financial management planning, implementation, and project teams
- Reporting to the Vice President and Practice Lead, Corporate and Public Affairs, manage direct reports on the team and support them with their career development goals
- Set achievable goals and tasks, delegate opportunities and provide resources for direct reports to meet their goals; consistently measure and recognize goal achievement
- Help attract new talent and work to build a team with diverse views and backgrounds
- Demonstrate an excellent grasp of public policy, politics, current events, business news and the media landscape, and an understanding of how they provide context for client business, as well as for the office
- Establish strong relationships with the offices throughout the network and collaborate on client business
- Help raise NATIONAL’s profile in the market for business development
The ideal candidate profile
The Corporate and Public Affairs’ senior leaders are strategic advisors and innovators – we deliver value by providing informed, knowledgeable counsel and high quality, client-centric services. A clear track record as a trusted advisor and value builder are key assets for this role.
- Demonstrate a capacity for leadership, communication and teamwork
- Possess excellent written and verbal communications skills, and an ability to craft a compelling story that can be shared across multiple channels
- Exemplify and live NATIONAL’s values of quality, innovation, commitment, respect, collaboration, integrity and responsibility
- Lead the team in the management and growth of client business
- Demonstrate an entrepreneurial spirit
- A university degree in a related field and/or related certification, at a minimum
If you’re up for a new challenge to join Canada’s PR Firm, submit a cover letter and resume in confidence.
We thank you for your interest in NATIONAL; however, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
NATIONAL is committed to employment equity and we encourage applications from all qualified candidates. We value diversity and creating an inclusive culture where everyone can bring their true selves to work. We are committed as a company to equitable practices and policies that encourage a diverse workforce and work environment.
If you require a special accommodation, please advise the Human Resources Manager or Hiring Manager during the hiring process.