We are looking for a self-starter and creative thinker who demonstrates a passion for communications, as well as a commitment to client service and business development.
Candidates should have strong written and oral communications skills, as well as knowledge and experience working in one or more of the following areas: public sector and municipalities, labour relations, energy and infrastructure.
As a trusted advisor who understands the trends, opportunities and risks that affect our clients’ businesses, the successful candidate must have extensive knowledge of the economic, political and social landscape, as well as traditional and new media.
With increased expectations for organizations to engage stakeholders on important projects and initiatives, you should understand how to design, activate and manage public engagement programs using the right mix of in-person and digital strategies.
The successful candidate should understand labour relations, including strategic communications during contract negotiations, collective agreement deliberations and in the course of job actions. Ideally, you should also have communications experience with municipalities or other public sector organizations at the municipal, provincial or federal levels of government.
What you will do
NATIONAL’s Corporate and Public Affairs practice client base is expanding and we are looking for a communications specialist to help serve our clients and drive our business. From strategic communications, to stakeholder engagement and issues management, the team is recognized for its ability to connect with stakeholders, community members, customers and influencers to drive business results.
- Serve as a day-to-day, client-facing contributor for multiple accounts in the following areas: labour relations, public sector/municipalities, energy and infrastructure
- Assist with the design, management and execution of successful communications programs and campaigns, which may include message development, media strategy and relations, content development, public engagement, etc.
- Strategy development and client program execution
- Project manage accounts, including work plans and managing account budgets
- Maintain expert knowledge of evolving issues and developments that affect our clients; able to propose ideas to advance client goals
- Identify opportunities for clients to demonstrate thought leadership in emerging labour relations trends
- Interact on a daily basis with client senior communications leaders and work as part of an integrated team to deliver expert counsel and exceptional client service
- Contribute to the practice and Firm’s new business development initiatives, with a particular focus on helping to grow our client base in the public sector, labour relations, energy and infrastructure
- Work with other NATIONAL practices and teams to deliver integrated services, such as media relations, advertising, brand and content development, social media and stakeholder research
- Four to six years’ experience in public relations within a consulting environment or a corporate setting, and ideally with established relationships in business, the public sector and the media
- Communications experience in labour relations and public sector work and/or energy and infrastructure
- Experience in key aspects of strategic communications, message development and delivery; able to design and execute multi-channel communications and public engagement programs with impact
- A true team player who is eager to collaborate and help the practice and Firm achieve its business objectives
NATIONAL offers an opportunity to do challenging, unconventional work, while building a career in communications consulting with a firm that recognizes performance and rewards achievement.
NATIONAL is committed to employment equity and we encourage applications from all qualified candidates. We value diversity and creating an inclusive culture where everyone can bring their true selves to work. We are committed as a company to equitable practices and policies that encourage a diverse workforce and work environment.
If you require a special accommodation, please advise the Human Resources Manager or Hiring Manager during the hiring process.